Disabled Man Thrown to Floor and Punched by Police While Putting His Rubbish Out

A man diagnosed with autism and learning difficulties was allegedly assaulted by police outside his home, on 20th February.

33 year old Faruk Ali has severe autism, but has always enjoyed helping the binmen by putting out the bins for them outside his family home in Luton.  On February 20th, he put on his slippers and went outside to do just that.  But this time he was met by two uniformed police officers who thought he ‘looked suspicious’.

Neighbours claim to have seen the officers push Faruk into the wheelie bins, pin him to the ground and chase him, screaming, into the house.  The family say they witnessed police punch Faruk once inside the house.

The Bedfordshire Police officers claimed they believed Faruk was committing a burglary at the time of the incident, despite the fact he was wearing slippers and a badge identifying him as autistic.

Faruk’s brother Dhobir told the Mirror:

“The family has been traumatised by the whole experience. Faruk hasn’t actually recovered yet, he’s still traumatised.

“He is scared to leave the house, he has become more anxious and agitated and he is terrified every time he sees the police.

“When he came in the house with the police behind him I saw the bruises and cuts and straight away knew what had happened to him.

“Why did the police use such force? They said he looked suspicious but he was wearing slippers at the time and he was wearing a big coat.

“The officers in question have not been suspended from duty and they did not report this incident to the office immediately after the event.

“We don’t really know if the police are taking it seriously or not. We want to see these officers suspended.

“The fact of the matter is my brother is not the only one who suffers from autism in Luton and we want to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

Witness Musthafa Hussain claimed:
“They dragged him, they punched him, they held him hard. It was outrageous.”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The incident is being investigated by Bedforshire Police, and overseen by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) – but despite several witnesses, and the seriousness of the allegations, the officers involved have not been suspended while the investigation takes place.
The decision not to suspend the officers was met with anger. The Ali family held a public meeting in Luton this week, where it was revealed that Faruk had been a victim of a similar attack by police in 2012, and that the police officers involved in the February attack did not immediately report the incident to their superiors. 
Local Police and Crime Commisioner Olly Martin’s attended the meeting and told local press that it had all the hallmarks of a hate crime:

“My agenda is about trying to get confidence to people to report hate crime.“When you have something like this, which on the face of it could be presented as a hate crime, it undermines the role I am trying to do in terms of improving the outcomes for victims and giving them the confidence to report in the first place.”

Bedfordshire Police said:

“Bedfordshire Police is sorry for the distress Mr Ali and his family feel regarding the actions officers took due to their concerns for Mr Ali’s wellbeing on February 20 in Whitby Road, Luton.”

A spokesman added: “This incident is being taken seriously and an investigation has been launched by the Beds, Cambs and Herts Professional Standards Department which will be supervised by the IPCC.”

After mass outcry, it was announced on Monday 10th March that the officers involved would be taken off public facing duties while the investigation takes place – while the disabled community were told to maintain their confidence in the police force.
But why on earth should disabled people have any faith in the police?
There have been more than 333 suspicious deaths in police custody since 1998…and zero officers convicted. Here are some of those who lost their lives, and whose families are still seeking justice.
The Death of Sean Rigg
On 21st August 2008, a mentally ill man named Sean Rigg suffered a breakdown at his supported hostel in Brixton. Sean was 40 years old and physically fit despite his mental health problems. He had been taken into mental care by police officers before and was known as vulnerable.He was a musician and artists, dealing with Schizophrenia. He had been doing well, but then something went wrong. He left the hostel in an emotionally disturbed state and members of the hostel made 6 calls to 999 in a bid to raise the alarm and have Sean transported to the nearest hospital for treatment. A member of the public also dialled 999 after seeing Sean in such a state. At about 7pm, Sean was picked up by police, charged with a public order offense, handcuffed and taken to the station in a bobby van. The van arrived at the station at 7.30pm, Sean was taken, semi clothed, to a cage outside of the station and locked in. He was pronounced dead at hospital in the following hours.
Before today’s results, the family have been through an inquest, an appeal to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), House of commons questions by MP Sadiq Khan, and all with no result , no prosecution, not even so much as a cause of death.
Furthermore, the family of Sean Rigg have been fed a string of conflicting reports on the nature of Sean’s death. One of the sinister aspects of the case was the absence of any CCTV footage from the station. Initially, the police denied that there were any cameras on the premises pointed at the cage Sean was detained in. Then, once the family had been to the station and seen the two cameras overlooking the cage where Sean died, the station announced that the cameras hadn’t worked for some time. Later, once referred to the IPCC, it was discovered that there were both CCTV and audio taken of Sean’s arrest and arrival at Brixton police station. The family recorded a conversation with Chief Inspector Suzanne Wallace stating clearly that the CCTV was working and that the tapes had been supplied to the IPCC.
The IPCC however, never seized the tapes.
After months of investigation it was concluded that there was no obvious cause of injury leading to Sean’s death.
After 5 long years, the Independent Police Complaints Commission finally upheld the concerns, reopened the case and three officers have been arrested. I have been covering this story since 2010, and am over the moon for Marcia Rigg and the other loved ones of Sean Rigg.
But Sean’s case is one of many. No one knows what happened to kill and young man in his physical prime that night, but we do know he died on the concrete floor of a cage, in a police yard, in the middle of a psychotic episode. His family remain committed to finding out what on earth happened to Sean.
The Death of Faisal al-Ani
In the same year, 43 year old Faisal al-Ani was arrested in Southend on Sea town centre while suffering from an acute psychotic illness. Hours later, he was dead. Police stated he had collapsed and died after walking into the station.
However, CCTV footage of the arrest showed Mr al-Ani being taken to the ground in a major struggle involving multiple officers, being pinned to the floor for five minutes with a number of officers on his back and a foot in his neck, and later footage showed him being carried unconscious into the police station, not walking as the police had reported.
Despite all of this, after referral to the CPS, no charges were to be brought against any officer involved. This is all the more bizarre considering they found that:“Medical reports indicate that Mr Al-Ani died as the result of a combination of factors, principally an underlying heart problem associated with a struggle and restraint.”Therefore one could surely conclude that had Mr al-Ani been treated as a mental patient and not a criminal he may well have not died that day. The jury at Inquest felt differently, and Faisal al-Ani received no justice for dying during what is clearly a mental health episode.
The Death of Kingsley Burrell

KB129 year old Kingsley Burrell was detained under the Mental Health Act by West Midlands Police on March 27th 2011. Four days later, he was dead.

Kingsley, a trainee security guard, had dialled 999 after being threatened by a group of men while with his young son. However, when police turned up, they arrested Kingsley and detained him under the Mental Health Act. His family insist he had no prior history of mental health issues.
Three days later, officers were called to an ‘incident’ involving Kingsley at the Mary Seacole Institute in Winson Green, where he was still detained. He died during this incident.
The IPCC launched an immediate investigation. But more than a year later, in July 2012, Kingsley’s body had still not been released and no cause of death had been established. The body was finally released on the 18th of July following a large protest by supporters of the family’s quest for justice. His well attended funeral took place in Birmingham last August.

His sister, Kadisha says: “I personally don’t have much confidence in the IPCC investigation and we have not been kept informed.

“The family has now attended eight or nine pre-inquest hearings, yet still nobody can tell us what or who killed Kingsley.
‘‘It’s not fair on his children, especially his little boy who can’t stop thinking and talking about what happened that day.”
Last month, four police officers were arrested after refusing to be interviewed by the IPCC for their investigation into the suspicious death of Kingsley Burrell. The hunt for justice continues.
We Need to Bring the Justice
Police officers are human beings. Where a genuine mistake has been made, the person needs to be held to account under their responsibility as a police officer. That responsibility should be accepted and administered with proportionality and understanding.
Where an act of brutality has taken place, the same responsibility must be administered with a large audience so people know they are safe and that when the police pick them up, in error or otherwise, that they are not inherently at risk of death.
These cases need to come before the courts of the law, not police inquiries and internal disciplinary proceedings. If I wrestled a person to the ground and restrained them until they passed out and died, I wouldn’t go through a grievance procedure, I’d go to court.
It should be the same deal for the police when they cross the line.
Don’t get angry, get involved!
Watch and promote the film Injustice which seeks to tell the untold story of deaths in prison primarily among ethnic minority men since 1969
Lend support to the family campaign for justice for Sean Rigg
Lend support to the family campaign for justice for Kingsley Burrell

15 thoughts on “Disabled Man Thrown to Floor and Punched by Police While Putting His Rubbish Out

    • over a thousand people beaten to death in ‘pigyob custody’ last year, abt same every year, government own stats (unless you believe all of them were ‘natural causes’). MSM won’t tell you about it. you think a massive law suit when the game is rigged anyway going to put a stop to it?

      they know where yu live it’s not safe to live there anymore.

    • Poor lad. I agree ravenwing, I have an adult child with autism and I have actually worried something like this happening to him because he often looks ‘suspicious’ because of his social anxiety.

    • yeah, but realistically…what are you going to do? i’ve had over fifteen years of violence, gang rape, they even murdered my dog….i can barely walk/ very far/ not at all soemtimes….never hit anyone in my life…and if u can manage to defend yourself, somebody else….what do you think is going to happen to you? they also creep up behind people and shoot them repeatedly in the head…now WHERE did that guy work?

  1. So the police have beat this man not once but twice and not a thing has been done.??Shame shame.I wonder what would happen if a member of one of those police officers family was assaulted?I am sure they would take justice into their own hands on that one.The community needs to stand up and demand these officers are dismissed from the police dept and be on their record they never work doing police work or security the rest of their natural born lives.

  2. Lol the police took their actions because of their ‘concern for his well being’-thats offensive of Bedfordshire police to say that.

  3. Pingback: Disabled Man Thrown to Floor and Punched by Pol...

Leave a Reply