The UK Independence Party (UKIP) dropped all pretense as a Libertarian party this week when they brought in police and lawyers to threaten bloggers who shared a ‘fact check’ leaflet of UKIP’s policies. Our response needs to be defiant, let’s get this leaflet around the country and the world.
Censorship, Brought to You by UKIP
The UKIPpers are forever bleating on about political correctness gone mad acting a tool of censorship. So, you’d think they might encourage dissent and debate of ideas – being such champions of free speech. Um, no.
When blogger Michael Abberton tweeted the above image, he received a visit from police, who asked him to delete the tweet. He described the incident to the Independent, claiming the officers told him that he should not publicise the visit.
“They said [the visit] was in relation to a complaint that had been made by a certain political party in relation to tweets I had published about them and one tweet in particular which talked about 10 reasons to vote for them,” he said.
“The PC wanted to know if I had made that poster. They asked me to ‘take it down’ but I said I couldn’t do that as it had already been retweeted and copied many times and I no longer had any control of it. They said that they couldn’t force me to take it down anyway.”
He took to his Axe of Reason blog to detail the bizarre experience further:
A complaint had been made but with no legal basis. Not a police matter. So why did they come to my home in the middle of a Saturday afternoon? Also, seeing as my profile doesn’t have my location – how did they know my address, or even the town I live in?
About fifteen minutes after they left I received a threatening tweet from a party member I had had an exchange with earlier in the day. Though appearing to be no more than a party supporter, he seemed to know that the police had been involved. I copied the tweet and sent it to the police.
So the police, however polite and professional the individual officers were, have taken the decision to politically police Mr Abberton – in spite of the fact he had, by their own admission, broken no law.
The Chief of Cambridgeshire Police later apologised for despatching officers for this fool’s errand and has announced a review of procedure. But it didn’t stop there.
The Ripple Effects
This incident is worrying enough on its own, but having shared the image yesterday, the Another Angry Voice blog claim they received ‘legalistic threats’ from someone identifying themselves as a UKIP associate and had therefore deleted the image from their page.
Political policing – that is using police and the law to shield politicians from legitimate scrutiny – is on the rise in the UK. Here are just a few of the most absurd examples:
- In 2010, 12 year old Nicky Wishart, one of the PM’s constituents in Witney, was pulled from class, threatened with arrest and informed that police were monitoring his Facebook activity. A full scale security operation has been established after the boy posted his efforts to save his local youth club on Facebook.
- Nearly 200 cyclists were carted away from the London 2012 Opening Ceremony in handcuffs, arrested and held overnight to prevent the spotlight falling on the corruption attached to the Games.
- In March 2013, 28 year old Bethan Tichbourne ended up convicted of using threatening words or behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress, for shouting “You have blood on your hands” at David Cameron over his cuts to disability benefits as he turned on the Christmas Lights in Witney .
- There has been a litany of police violence and arrests of non-violent protesters of Fracking, including Green MP Caroline Lucas and her son in Balcombe.
How Did It Come to This?
We have been sleepwalking into an authoritarian state. The Anti Terrorism and Security Act 2001, the Terrorism Act 2006, and the Serious and Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 wiped out most of the civil liberties gains made in the previous four centuries. Much of this took place unopposed, as dissenting voices were made out as terror-apologists and conspiracy theorists.
For the full and harrowing list of just how many rights we’ve lost, please see a previous post on the matter here.
So, when a political party and its members seek to use the police or lawyers to silence legitimate criticism of their policies in the run up to an election, we cannot merely cuss about it. We need to make our response so overwhelming that they dare not even think of trying it on again.
If you vote UKIP, you are voting to:
- Sell the NHS,
- Remove a wide range of worker’s rights – that’s sick pay, holiday pay, restrictions on working hours, notice periods for termination and other important securities.
- A flat tax system that would charge the Starbucks CEO and the barrista the same percentage of their income in taxes. Tax expert Richard Murphy has roundly denounced this policy as social engineering that could leave people without the vital services upon which they rely.
The party leader Farage is a millionaire banker, from millionaire banking lineage – his father Guy Oscar Justus Farage was a stockbroker.
Farage didn’t work his way up from the bottom. He was educated at £10,000 a term private school Dulwich College. On leaving college he used daddy’s contacts to become a commodities trader in the City. He is one of those suited, champagne quaffing, morally bankrupt traders that helped bring our economy to its knees. A vote for UKIP, is a vote to install another wealthy heir into Number 10.
This is not spin, or opinion, these are the brutal facts.
Unless you believe that the nation is truly full of bigots and homophobes who want to get rid of their NHS and light a bonfire of their rights – clearly the message about what UKIP really stands for is not sinking in. This rancid excuse for a party still doing well in the polls and is gifted more time on flagship BBC shows like Question Time than other alternative parties like the Green Party, despite the Greens having a sitting MP. This is why bloggers must remain free to do the job that the mainstream media is clearly failing in: To expose Farage and the UKIPpers for what they really are – the same old establishment party of which the majority are sick to death.
Don’t get angry, get involved!
One request, share this article of the image on every social media outlet available to you. Print it out and stick it on your workplace/school/university/residential or nursing home communal areas. Spread it far and wide.
If you want an alternative, there are many. Look around.
Scriptonite Daily is a citizen funded news site. If we want to make an alternative media, then we need to build it. Your donations make the difference.
Become a regular subscriber here