London Mayor Boris Johnson is planning to bring water cannons to London, for use by the Metroplitan police,against us – I think it’s time we buy our own.
The People’s Water Cannon project has been set up on crowd-funding platform StartJoin, and is busy gathering donations from everyone who is keen to have a water cannon of their own to douse politicians, police, bankers…and anyone else who gets in their way.
The appeal on the page reads:
London’s Mayor has purchased three water cannon for the Met Police’s armoury against austerity protesters this year. Surely it’s only fair the people had one too.
Not satisfied with the power to kettle, taser, arrest and shoot citizens – London’s Metropolitan Police Service can now fire water cannon at anti-austerity protesters too. Thanks to Theresa May and Boris Johnson, the Met will have three water cannon with which to clean the streets of citizens who dare to protest ideological austerity this summer.
We think this is wrong. Secret courts, legal aid cuts, the privatisation of the justice system …and now this.
If you agree, join us.
We already have every reason to kick back against this increasingly authoritarian government.
During this parliament, the citizenry have been losing long held rights and liberties, hand over fist:
- Offenders as young as 12 will be housed in privatised prisons where corporal punishment is permitted
- Citizens can be tried in secret courts
- Books have been banned in prisons
- Much of the justice system – including prison transport, prisons, rape and sexual assault centres, translation services, forensic laboratories, the probation service and even the courts themselves – have been sold to profit-making private interests.
- The Home Secretary has been given the power to strip Brits of their citizenship
- Police can arrest, fine or imprison citizens for being considered a ‘nuisance or annoyance’
As mass cuts to public services and welfare see 5 million children living in poverty by 2020, and a million of us relying on charity-run emergency Food Banks last year – the justice and policing systems seem to be building up to quell any whiff of rebellion.
And now Boris Johnson has purchased three water cannon from Germany, intended for deployment on British streets…are we really willing to let this slide?
If your answer is no, you can help in three ways:
1. Donate to The People’s Water Cannon project – if we fail to hit target, you’ll get your money back.
2. Leave a comment of support on the site, this will help create the buzz necessary to show we’re serious.
3. Share this as widely as you can!
We even have our own song. Enjoy!